Deliciously Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
Growing up in Florida it was either extremely humid, or, my favorite, rainy. Cold feet from splashing around in the puddles were always warmed up by a bowl of creamy tomato basil soup.
Something about a rich creamy soup was always comforting during the rainy season. This is one of my favorite soups that has great flavor without a lot of fuss. Minimal ingredients make this an easy meal to keep stocked in your pantry and a great last minute meal.
This tomato basil soup is velvety and intense in flavor. The basil kicks it up a notch just enough to give it a fresh garden taste. I love pouring a warm cup and topping it with Italian croutons or freshly popped popcorn. But if you are a dipper like me the classic combination is to pair it with, nonother than, a hot grilled “cheese” sandwich. I don’t think anything pairs quite like it.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 2 – 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup date sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream
- In a Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté about 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and let sauté for another 3-5 minutes until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, and date sugar. Let simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes stirring regularly.
- In batches, add tomato mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once all of the soup has been blended; add back to the Dutch oven.
- Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the coconut cream until blended. Salt your tomato basil soup to your taste. Serve with croutons and fresh chopped basil.
SIGN UP TO THE EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH REGISTERED DIETITIANS JUST ASK THE DIETITIAN
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: