This “recipe” for glazed butternut squash couldn’t be simpler, and even picky kids will usually go back for seconds on this one! Plus, it’s loaded with fiber, beta carotene, and antioxidants. Yahoo!
One small butternut squash, washed well
Coconut oil spray
Natural sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, agave nectar, or coconut sugar)
Dried rosemary leaf
Salt (preferably sea salt or pink salt)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F. Slice the squash in half, lengthwise (so that you have two long halves, and the seeds are exposed).
2. Remove the seeds and pulp with a spoon and set them aside (they’re great for roasting!).
3. Spray a large baking sheet with the coconut oil. Set aside.
4. Slice the squash, width-wise, into 1/4 -inch thick slices (keep them thin, as they get nice and caramelized that way). Lay them out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
5. Spray with the coconut oil, and drizzle (or sprinkle) with sweetener. Top rather generously with the rosemary and finish with a sprinkle of salt. Bake until golden-browned on the undersides. This usually takes about 15 minutes in my oven, but it varies. Flip each piece over and bake until the other side is golden-browned and looks irresistibly caramelized. Remove and serve. If desired, top with chopped nuts.
A Note From The Raise Vegan Staff
Don’t forget to check out the Facebook Group Vegan Eats For Smaller Feet, for some great ideas on easy peasy meal ideas for that amazing plant based family! If you’re looking for other like minded parents, we have the main group, Vegan Pregnancy and Parenting, over thirty thousand parents, all Raising Vegan! From homeschooling, to food and everything in between. We have you covered for every over asked question that may come your way. Check out articles such as Quick & Simple Mushroom Ragu Recipe and Chickpea Curry – Fire Up Those Taste Buds!
Raising children vegan is sometime wrought with worries about nutrition, and doubts from outside influences. You are doing an amazing thing for your kids, the planet, and most importantly, the animals. We thank you, we are grateful to you, and we admire you! Keep on rocking vegan parents, we are changing the world together!