Quick And Easy Vegan Tikka Masala
This vegan tikka masala dish is simple, yet delicious.
Tikka masala is usually made with chicken, but this version of the dish swaps out the traditional non-vegan ingredients with vegan alternatives, to create a dish that is even more delicious. This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and perfect for the whole family to enjoy.
- 5 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp jalapeno chile, minced
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 lb extra firm tofu
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain your tofu and wrap in absorbent towels or paper towels. Place a weight on top of it to draw out any added moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, half the cilantro, chili powder, salt, and pepper to make your vegan tikka masala sauce.
- Cut your tofu into cubes and place in the marinade. Stir it around until your tofu is well coated and let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat your oil in a pan over a medium heat and add in the onions. Cook for a few minuted (3-5) or until the onions have turned translucent.
- Slowly add in the turmeric, dairy-free yogurt, coconut milk, and the remaining cilantro to the pan. Stir your vegan tikka masala sauce constantly for a few minutes until it has thickened up.
- Add in your marinated tofu to the sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes on a medium heat. At this point, taste your sauce and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Remove from the heat and serve over a bed of rice, with heated dairy-free naan bread.
This vegan tikka masala is sure to be a hit with lovers of Indian food. It’s simple but really packs a flavor punch.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Raise Vegan magazine for more great recipes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: