Red Kidney Beans Curry- All Things Spicy, Tangy And Savory
Today I am sharing two recipes in one post- red kidney beans curry and cumin rice. These two wholesome meals are like inseparable twins. Strongly recommended, you try them together.
I have to admit one thing- being a vegan in India is relatively very easy. There are hundreds of meat and dairy free cuisines that you can cook at home or order in restaurants and you’ll never fall short of vegan options. From lentils to tomato based curries, each day I cook fresh vegan food and haven’t ever felt there’s shortage of plant based recipes.
Today, I am sharing my husband’s favorite wholesome meal- red kidney beans curry recipe. This is our must-cook at weekend recipe and tastes best with cumin rice. I’ll share a quick cumin rice recipe at the end of this post.
Please do not confuse it with red kidney beans based soup, both are way too different. This kidney beans curry is tangy in taste; you can adjust the seasoning as per your spiciness preference. Let’s get to the recipe.
Red Kidney Beans Curry Recipe
This is my mother-in-law’s recipe and features a fair amount of chilies, pepper and tamarind. However, you can adjust the seasoning as per your preference. Skip green chilies if you have a sensitive stomach. Asafoetida and ginger are important ingredients; they counteracts the flatulence causing properties of red kidney beans.
- Boiled red kidney beans: 1.5 cup
- Small potato (raw diced): 1
- Tamarind (dry): 1/4 cup
- Finely Chopped onions: 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped green chilies: 1/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes: 1/2 cup
- Ginger (shredded): 1 tablespoon
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves: 2 tablespoon
- Vegetable oil: 4-5 tablespoon
- Water: as required
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida: one small pinch
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: as per taste (I prefer 1 tablespoon)
- Coriander (dry cilantro) powder: 2 tablespoon
- Red chili powder: 3/4 tablespoon
- Pepper powder: 1/4 tablespoon
- Black salt/ Himalayan salt: 1/4 tablespoon
- Bay leaves: 1 large
- Pepper cones: 4
- Cloves: 1
- Cinnamon stick: 1 medium
- In about one cup of lukewarm water submerge dry tamarind and keep it aside for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium flame. Add asafoetida, bay leaves, pepper cones, cloves, and cinnamon stick to it.
- Crackle cumin seeds in the oil. Add finely chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent. Now add potatoes, green chilies and ginger to it. Saute for about a minute till the potatoes turn mushy.
- Add tomatoes to the wok and cook till it starts leaving oil from the sides. This can take anywhere between 5-6 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, pepper powder, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, and black/ Himalayan salt to it. Saute for another two minutes.
- Now add boiled kidney beans to the vegetable and spice mix. Crush few kidney spoons with the back of a ladle. This is to give the gravy a thick texture.
- Add water as per the gravy consistency you desire. I prefer medium thick consistency, hence, I add one cup of water. Remember, water will evaporate a bit while cooking. So add accordingly.
- Cover the wok with a tight fitting lid and cook over low flame for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the tamarind in water, you had set aside in step one. Use a sieve to collect the tamarind induced water separately and discard the fibers.
- Remove the lid from wok and add tamarind water to the red kidney bean curry. Cook for 5 minutes over medium high flame.
Your red kidney beans curry is ready. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves. Tastes best with cumin rice (find recipe below).
You Might Also Like:
- DELICIOUS AROMATIC VEGAN SEMOLINA FUDGE (SUJI HALWA)
- 3 BEST AND EASY TO COOK VEGAN SWEETS RECIPES
- UPMA RECIPE- A LIGHT NUTRITIOUS VEGAN BREAKFAST DISH
- VEGAN CHICKPEA CURRY- BURSTING FLAVORS AND BOUNTIFUL AROMA
Cumin Rice Recipe
Red kidney beans curry tastes superb with cumin rice. Here’s a fairly easy to cook recipe. You can also enjoy this aromatic rice preparation independently on a wintry night. This comfort food tastes best when served hot.
- Rice (soaked for at least an hour prior cooking): 1 cup
- Peas (optional): 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes (chopped): 1/2 cup
- Carrot (chopped): 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: as per taste
- Pepper powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil: 4 tablespoon
- Water: as needed
- Heat oil in a wok and crackle cumin seeds in it.
- Add all the vegetables (mentioned above) in it and saute for a minute.
- Drain the rice and discard water. Add rice to the wok. Season with salt and pepper powder.
- With a very light hand, delicately saute the rice so that each grain gets coated with the seasoning. Light hand is necessary or you’ll break the grains, which shall result in mushy looking cumin-rice at the end.
- Add two cups of water and cover with a tight fitting lid. Do not allow the steam to escape.
- Turn the heat to medium low and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove lid thereafter and check the grains with a spoon. Cooked rice grain would break easily.
Delicious aromatic cumin rice is ready to eat. You can garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
And, if you’re still wondering what kind of New Year gifts to get this year. Pick up six issues of Raise Vegan Magazine for only $29.40!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: