Sources of Vegan Fiber
Vegan Fiber Sources
Fiber is a virtually indigestible substance that is found mainly in the outer layers of plants- essentially the cell walls; hence dietary fiber sources are vegan fiber sources! Fiber is a special type of carbohydrate that passes through the human digestive system virtually unchanged, without being broken down into nutrients. Carbohydrates constitute the main source of energy for all body functions.
Only plants produce fiber. No matter what the animal product may be, they do not contain fiber – not even bones or eggshells.
There are two main types of fiber, and they have different effects on the body:
- Insoluble fiber is mainly made up of plant cell walls, and it cannot be dissolved in water. It has a good laxative action.
- Soluble fiber is made up of polysaccharides (carbohydrates that contain three or more molecules of simple carbohydrates), and it does dissolve in water. It has a beneficial effect on body chemistry, such as lowering blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Facts About Vegan Fiber
- Fiber keeps bowel movements regular and soft and keeps the contents of the intestines moving
- Americans consume only about 10% of the fiber that they did 100 years ago, due to the “Average American Diet” which is low in plant food
- A good diet should contain approximately 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day – vegans have the healthiest intake of dietary fiber
Use this helpful infographic and learn how to incorporate fiber-rich food into your daily life! When you think of all the health benefits, plus the added bonus that you may lose weight, enjoy vegan recipes such as Chickpea Curry, Toasted Pecan and Grapefruit Salad, and reap in the benefits!
For families that need a little extra assistance during the busy week, Ask A Plant Based Dietitian is an excellent resource that offers affordable meal planning as well as 24/7 to registered dietitians who specialize in a plant based diet.
Tags: dietary fiber, fiber, fiber benefits, fiber sources, fruits, legumes, plant based diet, plant food, seeds, vegan fiber, vegan fiber sources, vegetables, what is fiber