Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe
This vegan carrot cake is rich and delicious, yet free from refined flours, artificial ingredients, and cholesterol. And bonus—no one will ever guess it’s vegan, so feel free to serve it to omnivores with full confidence!
- 1 cup EACH: grated carrots and pure maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon EACH: ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and ground allspice
- ½ cup EACH: water, raisins, and orange juice
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil (sunflower, safflower, or melted coconut)
Creamy Lemon Frosting:
- One 8 oz. container vegan cream cheese
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Zest of two large organic lemons (minced or grated)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2½ cups organic powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- Combine the ingredients for the carrot mixture in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for five minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk or sift until well combined.
- Stir the oil into the carrot mixture and combine well. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir well, but don’t over-mix.
- Lightly oil an 11.5 x 8-inch cake pan. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese and margarine in a large bowl and whip with electric beaters until well combined—but don’t over-mix or your frosting might lose its consistency. You may also want to have a rubber spatula on hand to scrape down the sides, as this will ensure a consistent frosting. Add the remaining items for the frosting and whip just until well combined. Refrigerate the frosting until the cake has cooled.
- When the cake has cooled down, slather on the frosting using a rubber spatula or butter knife. Scatter the lemon zest on top and serve.
Makes one 11.5 x 8-inch cake