These chocolate cupcakes (which also work well as an amazing vegan cake) are so decadently delicious that even the most skeptical omnivores will tell you it’s the best chocolate cake they’ve ever had! I’ve lost count of the sheer amount of people who rave about this dessert.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (not Dutch process cocoa), sifted if lumpy
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup oil (sunflower, melted coconut, or safflower)
- 1 cup chocolate soymilk
Luscious Chocolate Frosting:
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegan margarine
- 2¼ cups plus 4 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate soymilk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Oil a 9 x 9-inch pan or a dozen muffin cups. Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Make sure each is lump-free and mixed very well.
- Mix them together, but do not over-mix. Pour into your oiled baking pan or muffin cups and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. For cupcakes, this should take about 20 minutes. For cake, it will usually take 30 minutes or more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, whip the margarine in a large bowl (using electric beaters) until it becomes somewhat fluffy. Slowly add in the remaining ingredients one at a time, in the order given. Beat at high speed until very fluffy, using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Next, refrigerate the frosting until the cake has cooled.
- Frost your cupcakes (or cake). Ideally, let the frosting warm to room temperature before serving. Decorate with chocolate chips, edible flowers, berries, chocolate shavings, or anything else that makes you smile.
Makes about 12 cupcakes or one 9 x 9-inch cake
Don’t forget to check out the Facebook Group Vegan Eats For Smaller Feet, for some great ideas on easy peasy meal ideas for that amazing plant based family! If you’re looking for other like minded parents, we have the main group, Vegan Pregnancy and Parenting, and Raise Vegan over thirty thousand parents, all Raising Vegan! From homeschooling, to food and everything in between.
We have you covered for every over asked question that may come your way. Raising children vegan is sometime wrought with worries about nutrition. With doubts from outside influences. You are doing an amazing thing for your kids, the planet, and most importantly, the animals. We thank you, we are grateful to you, and we admire you! Don’t forget to check out articles such as Carrot Cake and The Best Chocolate Brownies You’ll Ever Have.
Keep on rocking vegan parents, we are changing the world together!
Tags: dessert, easy vegan recipe, easy vegan recipes, quick vegan dessert, simple vegan recipe, vegan chocolate