Homemade Healthy Vegan Cherry Pie With Whole Grains
Dust off those aprons and preheat those ovens because it’s pie season again. The holidays are near — which means you have one more reason to serve up a delicious vegan pie for family and friends.
This recipe by Jasmin Hackmann of Vee Eat Cooke Bake is made refined sugar free with fresh cherries and a whole grain crust. Serve with toppings like coconut cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 50 g hazelnut flour
- 50 g macadamia flour
- 225 g spelt flour or glutenfree flour mixture
- 25g oat flour
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100 g tahini or nut butter of your choice
- 5 cups pitted fresh cherries
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup* raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 3.5 tbsp cornstarch
- A half lemon juiced and zested
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp water
- Some almond milk for brushing the top
- Almond slices for sprinkling and garnishing
- In a food processor, first, mix all the dry ingredients. Then add the maple syrup and tahini, and process the mass until it becomes crumbly. Add 5 tablespoons of water first and continue with this a spoonful at a time until you get a firmer lumpy dough without it feeling dry.
- Form the dough into a ball that should hold together easily and divide it into two parts, one part of which is slightly larger than the other. Now put the dough in a bowl and cover it off and put the dough in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- You can also freeze the dough by simply putting the dough in the freezer the night before you need it.
- Take the larger ball out of the fridge and leave it on the countertop for a few minutes.
- Then roll it into a circle about 30 cm in diameter and put it in a 20-22 cm Springform or pie pan. Cover it and put it in the fridge again. Do the same with the other ball. Put this on baking paper and put them in the fridge.
- Mix raw cane sugar or coconut sugar, cornstarch and stir in the cherries. Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, and zest. Set it aside for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Distribute the cherry filling evenly in the pie pan.
- Cut out some cookies from the second dough and put them over the cherry filling like in the video. Brush with almond milk and sprinkle with a few almonds.
- Bake for 15 min and put the heat down to 180C and bake for about 40 min until the crust is golden brown. Allow the cake to cool for at least 4 hours before cutting so the filling is firm.
Tags: cherry, cherry pie, Holidays, Pie, Recipes, refined sugar free, vegan pie, vegan recipes, whole grain crust, whole-grain