Vegan Creamy Vegetable Soup
This unbelievably rich and delicious vegan soup will warm both your belly and your soul!
With common pantry staples, this wonderful recipe from Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen is perfect for when you want something fresh and comforting.
Vegan Creamy Vegetable Soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby red potatoes (I cut mine in quarters because they were large; see post for size)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 bunch thin asparagus
- 6 cups vegetable broth (divided)
- 2 large sprigs rosemary
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
Creamy Soup Component (Two Options)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight) or 1/2 cup gluten-free or regular flour (choose one, not both)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Sauté garlic, onions, and celery until onions are translucent
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and continue to cook with the onions, celery, and garlic until browned.
- Add rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, Herbes de Provence, and nutritional yeast
- Add cut red potatoes
- Pour in vegetable broth (just enough to cover the vegetables and potatoes.)
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, make your “creamy” component.
- If using cashews, drain and rinse, and blend with 2 cups of vegetable broth until smooth.
- If using gluten-free or regular flour, blend 1/2 cup flour with 2 cups vegetable broth; set aside.
Continuing Cooking The Soup
- Now add the broccoli, carrots, and remaining vegetable broth
- Again, bring to a boil, submerging the broccoli and carrots.
- Add the “creamy” component you chose (nut mixture or flour mixture)
- Boil for 5 minutes, then add asparagus.
- Cook for 3 more minutes.
- The creamy mixture will begin to get thicker as it gets hot.
- Remove from heat.
1. If you have a good high-speed blender, you do not need to soak your cashews.
2. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can boil your cashews or 10 minutes to speed up the process.
3. Gluten-free flour works just as well with the vegetable broth as an alternative thickening creamy component for the soup
4. To reduce salt, use low-salt or no-salt vegetable broth
5. You can use any potatoes you prefer, but I like red potatoes for this soup because of their texture.
6. Remember, if your potatoes need to be the same size for even cooking, so cut them into similar sizes.
7. Choose any vegetables you like, but if you use frozen vegetables, do not add until the last minutes of cooking (follow package instructions in terms of cooking time). For instance, if the package says to boil for 7 minutes, add the frozen vegetables the last 7 minutes of cooking.
Did you make a batch of Vegan Creamy Vegetable Soup? Let us know how it turned out in the comments below!