Vegan Food Trending: Homemade BBQ Jackfruit Pulled Pork Burger
Love BBQ burgers and jackfruit pulled pork sandwiches? Ever wondered if there was a delicious cruelty-free substitute for pork? Well, the giant green fruit you saw at few South East Asian and Indian stores has an answer for you- YES!!
Not only is jackfruit an impressive alternative to meat- thanks to its chewy texture and meaty taste- the fruit is nutritious too. It can be easily called the vegan pork minus the saturated fat content and artery clogging cholesterol.
Homemade BBQ Jackfruit Pulled Pork Burger
This homemade BBQ pulled jackfruit burger is a delight to serve even at the gathering of your non-vegan friends. Don’t say a word and keep them guessing how you managed to pull off a ‘meaty’ BBQ burger.
Without much ado, let me get to the recipe.
- Raw diced jackfruit- 2 cups or 20 ounce can of young jackfruit
- Finely chopped 1 small onion
- 1 cup water
- Green chili-garlic-ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoon
For BBQ Sauce
- Chili-onion-garlic powder- 1 teaspoon each
- Black salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard powder 1/4 tablespoon
- Smoked paprika 1 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste (I prefer 1 teaspoon)
- Pureed tomato paste 4 tablespoon
- Apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Brown sugar 4 tablespoon
- Molasses 1/2 tablespoon
- Shredded cabbage and carrots 1 cup
- Ripe avocado- 1
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 table spoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Burger buns
- Add all the ingredients, mentioned under the BBQ sauce heading, in a medium sized saucepan. Allow it to simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Your BBQ sauce is ready.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, add vegetable oil and heat it. Saute onions till they turn golden brown. Add green chili-garlic-ginger paste and saute again for 2 minutes.
- While the onions and green chili-ginger-garlic paste is still cooking over low flame, rinse and completely pat dry jackfruit. Remove the center portion of the jackfruit pieces.
- Coat in half of the BBQ sauce over jackfruit pieces. Toss well and add to the onion and green chili paste cooking in the skillet. Cook for at least 15 minutes over medium flame.
- Add the remaining BBQ sauce and cook for another 10 minutes. With the help of two forks, to shred the cooked jackfruit and thus resemble the ‘pulled’ pork texture.
- Preheat oven at 400°F/200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread the pulled jackfruit paste in the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the jackfruit paste is being baked in the oven, mix shredded cabbage and carrots, mashed ripe avocado, lime juice, salt pepper and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl. Toss well.
Serve in a burger bun by first spreading the BBQ pulled jackfruit paste and topping it off with the avocado-cabbage-carrot slaw. Your delicious BBQ burger is ready. Bon appetit.
Did you like this recipe of Jackfruit pulled pork? Don’t forget to share and subscribe for more such vegan recipes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: