Before going vegan I didn’t realize how important seasonings are. I was your basic salt, pepper and garlic kind of person. Now I have some favorites that are in almost everything I make. I think I would go so far as to go get them in a snow storm, or maybe a flood. Who knows? This is why I keep an abundance of them! I highly recommend trying these seasonings if you haven’t already. There are so many flavors available and most people are afraid to try them or don’t even know of their existence. Branching out, trying new seasonings, will help make you a successful Vegan with the ability to wow your vegan and non-vegan friends! Additionally, there are other vegan staples in my fridge and pantry that I could not live without.
Without any more rambling here we go!
Seasonings and Spices
- Nutritional Yeast- This is a gift from God. It is the guilt free cheese flavored goodness of the future. Honestly its great and I would for sure go out in a snow storm for it.
- Garlic Powder- I use this almost as much a nutritional yeast. Pasta, potatoes, hummus, its great in everything. If a recipe calls for two cloves of garlic, I put 27!
- Mrs. Dash Original Blend- It’s a great go to when you know a dish “needs something” but you just can’t figure just what it is. A great way to boost flavor without adding salt.
- Seasoned Salt- This is great on fries. Actually this is all I put on fries (maybe garlic…sometimes). And it’s amazing.
- Vegan Butter- I like to keep this on hand for waffles and toast. I prefer the Earth Balance brand but there are several different brands available. Earth Balance even has a few different flavors for their butter.
- Soy, Cashew or Almond Milk- I get the original, unsweetened in both to keep for things like mashed potatoes and cereal.
- Buffalo Sauce- I love this with fresh veggies for a little kick.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette- This is my favorite salad dressing and I like to sauté Brussel sprouts with it.
- Pasta- Any kind works. I keep gluten free spaghetti on hand all the time for quick meals. But you can get penne or elbows to toss with cashew cheese sauce.
- Pasta Sauce- I love pasta so always keep some sauce on hand for quick and easy meals.
- Oatmeal- It’s a cheap and quick breakfast for busy mornings. Most kids love oatmeal.
- Rice- It’s great to keep on hand for meals like rice and beans. You can buy rice in bulk and it’s such an easy addition to any meal.
- Lentils- They go great with rice, quick and super filling.
- Cashews- I put cashew cream sauce on everything so this is a must for me.
- Beans- I keep black beans and kidney beans all the time for snacks and of course to go with rice.
- Potatoes- I mean what can’t you do with potatoes? Have you heard of the potato cleanse?
- Bananas- They are the perfect portable, filling snack. You can also freeze them and make nice cream!