Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe With Mushrooms
Easy Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipe to make the Championship more fun.
Unless you have been hiding under a giant rock somewhere, you know that the playoffs are happening right now. This weekend the Philadelphia Eagles will play the New Orleans Saints to win a coveted spot in the Championship game. Philadelphia is probably my favorite place on earth. Not only is the ‘City of Brotherly Love’ home to the Eagles, but they’re also famous for the cheesesteak sandwich. Here is a mushroom vegan Philly “Cheesesteak” sandwich recipe that would be the perfect thing to chow down on during the game.
Vegan Philly ‘Cheesesteak’ Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, sliced into long strips
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 5 oz oyster mushroom
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced into long strips
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 ¼ tsp onion powder, divided
- 1 ¼ tap garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- vegan Swiss cheese slices (I use Daiya)
- 2 large hoagie rolls
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and stir and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in the pan.
- Add the oyster and portabello mushrooms and stir to coat in the butter.
- Add the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Stir well. Sauté for about 7 minutes until the mushrooms are dark brown and reduce in size by half.
- Add the green pepper, onion, and garlic mixture back to the pan and stir.
- Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well. Continue to sauté for about 7 minutes until the liquid has thickened.
- Fill the hoagies with the mushroom mixture.
- Top the mushroom mixture with the vegan Swiss and melt under broiler for 30 seconds.
Fly Eagles Fly!!
Did you like this vegan Philly cheesesteak sandwich recipe? Comment below.
WANT YOUR MAGAZINE IN PRINT? GET SIX MONTHS FOR $29.40