Vegan Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Soup
Soup is such a great way to get your protein, vitamins, and vegetables in one sitting, and this spicy chipotle black bean soup is no different!
Just one cup of black beans offers 15 grams of protein. Add in peppers and onion you have a serving of vegetables. Throw on top a spoonful of avocado and hello healthy fat. In our house, no matter the weather, this soup is always a favorite.
DOWNLOAD THE RAISE VEGAN APPLE APP
The chipotle peppers add a nice smoky heat that is subtle enough for even my 2-year-old to eat. It can be paired with tortilla chips for a southwest flavor, poured over rice for a heartier meal, or one of my favorites use it to fill a
Either way, you prepare this black bean soup it’s delicious and bold in flavors. Hopefully, it will be a hit with your family as well.
DOWNLOAD THE RAISE VEGAN GOOGLE PLAY APP
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 3 non-chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
WANT YOUR MAGAZINE IN PRINT? GET IT FOR UNDER $4 A MONTH RAISEVEGAN
Directions for spicy chipotle black bean soup:
- In a large bowl, add beans and cover with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. In the morning, drain the beans and rinse them with water.
- In a medium pot, sauté onions and red peppers over medium heat for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil. Add in bouillon cubes and stir in until dissolved. Slowly stir in beans and chipotle peppers.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover, remove 2 cups of bean mixture and mash them.
- Add back into the pot and stir in cumin, chili powder, salt, and bay leaf.
- Cover and continue cooking for another 30-45 minutes, until beans are thoroughly cooked and the soup is at your desired thickness.
- Remove bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste. Top with your favorite toppings.
We love dressing our spicy chipotle black bean soup with sour cream, green onion, or avocado.
SIGN UP TO THE EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH REGISTERED DIETITIANS JUST ASK THE DIETITIAN
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: