Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Wraps You’ll Love
Tofu lettuce wraps are a longtime favorite of mine, they are somewhere between a delicious burrito and a nutrient-packed salad. There are many variations on the lettuce wrap, you can go down the Tex-Mex road with beans, corn, and jalapeño or you can enjoy grilled barbecued portobello mushroom in one. My favorite? The teriyaki tofu lettuce wrap. If you want a fun way to encourage your children to eat more lettuce or if you want a simple, low-carb meal to prep ahead of time for work, look no further. Here is how you can make savory teriyaki tofu lettuce wraps.
You might also like:
- Vegan Meal Planning: Anti Bloating Spices That Should Be In Every Pantry
- Blow Away Your Non Vegan Friends With This Spicy Potato Cauliflower Curry
- Red Kidney Beans Curry- All Things Spicy, Tangy And Savory
- Devour This Spicy Aromatic Vegan Potato Curry
- Vegan Chickpea curry- bursting flavors and bountiful aroma
Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 Block extra firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cup teriyaki marinade
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 small white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- vegetable oil
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- bean sprouts
- Wash iceberg lettuce well and peel the leaves apart so that you have multiple “wraps” to use. Set aside.
- Either using a tofu press paper towels and a heavy dish, press excess water out from the tofu. Pressing tofu will allow for the maximum amount of flavor to absorb in later on.
- Cut the tofu into small ½ inch cubes. Gently press on the tofu cubes again with a paper towel to ensure as much water as possible has been extracted.
- In a bowl, mix the teriyaki marinade sauce with liquid smoke and a pinch each of garlic salt and black pepper. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the tofu is marinating, finely chop the garlic and yellow onion and julienne the red bell pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet with vegetable oil, add in the chopped garlic and the yellow cook on medium-high heat until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add in the marinated tofu cubes, all remaining marinade that didn’t absorb in, and red bell pepper to the skillet. Fry until the tofu is completely cooked.
- In large lettuce leaves, fill them with the teriyaki tofu, bean sprouts, and cilantro.
- Serve as is for a low-carb meal or serve with a side of rice.
What is your favorite filling to put in tofu lettuce wraps? Let me know in the comments below.