BAKED SWEET POTATO AND TEMPEH VEGAN EMPANADAS
Tempeh isn’t as popular as other soy products, but it has got a great firm texture and it’s full of protein. These baked sweet potato and tempeh vegan empanadas are perfect as a snack or as a starter. Plus they can be easily packed into a lunchbox too, so great for when your little ones are heading off to school.
For the dough
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil at room temp
For the filling
- 8 oz tempeh, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
DOWNLOAD THE RAISE VEGAN APPLE APP
- Line the bottom of your oven with a sheet of aluminum foil and preheat to 350 F. Lightly score your sweet potato all over with a fork and roast directly on the oven rack for approx 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool slightly and scrape the flesh into a bowl and mash well with a fork.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine both flours with the salt and cornmeal. In a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle, beat 1 ½ cups of sweet potato puree with the coconut oil until smooth. Save the rest of the potato puree for later. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until it forms a smooth dough for your vegan empanadas.
- Transfer your dough out onto a floured work surface and work it into a ball. Divide your dough into 6-inch disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1hr.
- In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil. Add in the onion and cook until it turns translucent.
- Add the tempeh, garlic, and cumin seeds and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, water, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and let the filling for your vegan empanadas cool completely.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, working with 1 disk at a time, roll out your dough until it is about ¼ inch thick. Using a round cutter, cut out disks of dough.
- Moisten the edges with water and fill your dough with enough filling to cover half of the disk. Fold the dough to create a half circle, and press the edges to seal and crimp with a fork.
- Transfer your vegan empanadas to your baking sheets and bake at 350F for approx 25 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
DOWNLOAD THE RAISE VEGAN GOOGLE PLAY APP
WANT YOUR MAGAZINE IN PRINT? GET IT FOR UNDER $4 A MONTH RAISEVEGAN.STORE