COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
I’m still pretending it’s summer over here even though the weather is beginning to get a whole lot wetter and the darkness is creeping closer and closer to the time I leave work. These ice cream sandwiches are the perfect way to banish those fall blues and keep pretending it’s summer.
For the coconut ice cream
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cans coconut cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the chocolate chip cookies
- 3 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate chips
Method for the ice cream
- You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe. If you haven’t already, chill your insulated bowl overnight.
- In a medium skillet over a medium heat, toast your shredded coconut until golden brown, watching closely to make sure it doesn’t burn. Transfer to a bowl to cool while you make your ice cream for your ice cream sandwiches.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Blend for several minutes until combined completely.
- Transfer your mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to the machine’s instructions. Add the toasted coconut to the mixture a few minutes before your churn is complete.
- When it is finished churning, transfer to a
freezer-safedish and let chill overnight for scoopable ice cream.
For the cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment, add the butter, coconut oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Combine on a high speed until it becomes fluffy. Add in the apple sauce and vanilla and mix well until completely combined.
- With the mixer running on a low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture. Continue mixing until it forms a dough. Add in the chocolate chips and mix until combined. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Remove your dough from the fridge and let it soften a little bit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350F.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop your dough out and place on your baking sheet. Flatten the ball of dough with your fingers or the back of the ice cream scoop.
- Bake your cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer your cookies to a wire rack to cool.
To assemble your ice cream sandwiches
- Remove your ice cream from the freezer and let soften for about 30 minutes, depending on how warm your house is.
- Sandwich one large scoop of ice cream between two cookies. Repeat until you run out of cookies or ice cream. Return to the freezer to firm up until you are ready to serve your ice cream sandwiches.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: