Is It Real Labor Or Braxton Hicks? Know All About It Here
How can you tell if the contractions you’re experiencing are real labor or Braxton Hicks? As you get near to your due date, you may start to experience low key contractions. These are generally Braxton-Hicks. They are actually helping your body get ready for labor.
You might also like:
- Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Vegan Salad Recipe
- 5 MORE Must-Have Smartphone Apps for Vegans
- Distracted Parenting? Guilty as Charged!
Signs to help you know if it’s real labor or Braxton Hicks
Braxton Hicks contractions usually only last 30 to 60 seconds. Braxton Hicks contractions are often more uncomfortable than painful and can sometimes feel more like menstrual cramps than true contractions.
- There is no bloody show.
- Your contractions are irregular.
- Your contractions don’t get more severe or intense over time.
- You feel your contractions in the lower abdomen rather than, the lower back.
- Your contractions go away when you move positions.
Real labor contractions are rhythmic. They will increase in frequency and intensity. They will feel more painful than uncomfortable, especially as they progress. Real contractions will not stop if you change positions.
There may be some early signs that labor is about to start:
- Breathing and peeing may suddenly be easier as the baby starts to drop lower into the pelvis.
- You may experience tummy issues or diarrhea.
- You may have a bloody show.
- Your mucus plug may come out in one piece or little globs over several days.
When in doubt, always check it out.
You are not going to be the first woman ever to go to the hospital in false labor. Pre-labor can last for just a few hours or for weeks. Signs and symptoms of real labor can be different for every person. So if you think you may be in labor, don’t hesitate to call your healthcare provider. If your water breaks, it’s time to call your doctor or midwife, even if you have no other signs or symptoms of labor.
Got more advice on helping moms-to-be understand if it’s real labor or Braxton Hicks? Share your experiences in the comment box below.