Know All About Restless legs During Pregnancy
That uncontrollable urge to move legs in order to get rid of strange tingling, burning or crawling sensation in legs is restless legs syndrome. It is pretty common problem than you think and plagues quite a lot of women during pregnancy. Restless legs during pregnancy can cause you to lose sleep and feel tired the entire day.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 3 Myths About Exercise During Pregnancy
- 6 Supplements to Consider During Pregnancy
- Acne, Stretch Marks, and Hair Changes- 6 Body Changes During Pregnancy
- 12 Weird Early Pregnancy Symptoms No One Talks About
Causes and Symptoms of Restless Legs during pregnancy
There is no single criteria about what makes a pregnant woman more prone to experience the compelling urge of moving legs constantly. It might run in the family and women who have experienced it before might find the situation a bit worse when they are expecting. However, there are women who experience restless legs during pregnancy even when they haven’t faced any such issue their entire life earlier.
Generally, the urge to move legs is at peak when you are resting and shaking legs might provide immediate relief. But as soon as you stop moving legs, the same tingling and crawling sensation resurfaces.
There have been a lot of researches on the reasons causing this problem. However, no single factor can be blamed for causing restless legs during pregnancy. It can be a number of things like iron and folate deficiency in expecting mothers, genetic predisposition, spike in estrogen hormone and blood circulation disturbances.
Restless Legs During Pregnancy-Some Don’ts
Below is a list of some don’ts that you mustn’t do, no matter how worse the condition is.
- Never self medicate. Majority of drugs used to treat restless legs during pregnancy are not recommended for pregnant women.
- Watch your caffeine intake as it can worsen the condition.
- Few seemingly harmless medicines like antihistamine for cold can worsen the condition.
- Do not keep lying in bed especially an hour or two before sleep. Watching television while lying on bed can worsen restless legs during pregnancy.
- It is highly recommended you consult a doctor if you feel the tingling and crawling sensation isn’t improving even after being active during the day.
- Do watch your diet and increase intake of Magnesium, iron, folate and vitamins. However, don’t take supplements without consulting your doctor.
SIGN UP TO THE EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH REGISTERED DIETITIANS JUST ASK THE DIETITIAN
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: