Make-it-Easy Breakfast Porridge: An Utterly Simple Morning Filler (Recipe)
They say, “eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.” Well, not without a reason. The saying has been making rounds in the diet world and many believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you skip it, you may face problems. So whatever you do, wherever you go, ensure that you get your hands on a good, healthy breakfast. This recipe is nutritious and filling, yet light and delicious.
As vegans, it is important to ensure each meal is well-rounded and provides a variety of nutrients. This breakfast recipe is for vegans who are in need of some simple and filling breakfast recipes.
There is a little bit of preparation to be done the night before, but don’t worry, it’s simple! All you need to do is wash the desired quantity of fragrant, short-grained rice, remove excess water, and then transfer the rice to a ziplock bag to be kept in the freezer overnight. Storing the washed rice in the freezer will give the rice a unique texture when boiled. The rice will pop open like popcorn and become soft and easily digestible.
You Will Need For Breakfast Porridge
1 cup fragrant rice, frozen as per instruction
¼ cup carrot
¼ cup butternut squash
1/4 cup bell pepper
1 cup cabbage
A few florets broccoli
1/4th cup shiitake mushroom
1/4th cup corn
1 tablespoon ginger
Sea weeds to taste (optional)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce (light)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (to drizzle and fry)
How to Prepare:
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan and add the sesame oil. Fry the ginger until fragrant, then add the chopped shiitake mushrooms. Fry until aromatic. At this point, add in the rest of the veggies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add four to five cups water, depending how thick you like your porridge and what kind of rice you choose. The veggies and rice will boil together, forming a mushy mix. I like my porridge to slurp, so I make it thin. You can adjust it later so no need to worry.
- Bring the water to a boil and add salt, pepper and soy sauce.
- Finally, add the rice right out of the freezer.
- Let the rice cook until it pops open and soaks in all the flavors of the veggies and seasoning.
- Stir occasionally so the rice does not stick to the bottom. Add hot water if you want it thin. Check the seasoning before bringing down the flame.
- Enjoy with vegan chicken nuggets, grilled veggies or simply with your favorite side dish.
This is a power-packed, wholesome, filling breakfast recipe that will give a kickstart to your busy day. Will you try this simple recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
Do you eat breakfast porridge? Drop your favorite recipe in the comments