Vegan Wrap: Wrap or Roll (recipe)
Limiting your food choices can be challenging. But if the mission behind limiting food is compassion, nothing else matters. Isn’t it? At Raise Vegan, it is our constant aim that vegans have ample of recipes at hand so that their vegan journey becomes smoother. You name a dish, and there is a vegan version available. Today’s vegan wrap recipe is my vegan version of the much loved dish from the Mexican cuisine. Yes, the legendary wraps. Read on to find more.
You might also like:
- NYC SCHOOLS TO IMPLEMENT MEATLESS MONDAYS
- VEGAN NEWS ROUND UP: LATEST NEWS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- AMSTERDAM’S FIRST NATIONAL CLIMATE MARCH GETS 40,000 PARTICIPANTS
- GOODFELLA’S TO RELEASE NEW FROZEN PIZZA WITH VEGAN CHEESE
A Wrap’s Bio
A vegan wrap is a flat-bread wrapped around diverse fillings. Hence the name ‘wrap’. It is an interesting dish that bursts flavors in your mouth once you bite into it. They’re extremely filling and can be taken in lunch or dinner or simply as a snack. This particular filling is my favorite and extremely easy to make. You just need some ingredients and you will be good to go. You can store-buy the wrap bread or prepare at home from scratch. I always prefer home-made ones.
Vegan Wrap Recipe
For the wrap
2 cups whole wheat flour
1-2 cups water for kneading the dough
A pinch of salt
A teaspoon of baking powder
For the fillings
Thinly shredded carrot– 1 cup
Thinly shredded cabbage– 1 and 1/2 cup
Thinly shredded Shitake Mushrooms– ½ cup (any other variety would do but Shitake’d be the best)
Thinly shredded bell peppers– 1 cup
Lettuce leaves for the crunch
Tofu– chopped – 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Add water to flour, baking powder and knead a soft dough. The dough should be firm but should have enough moisture to make soft wraps. For two cups usually, you’ll require 1 cup water but it depends on the variety of flour.
- Rest the dough for half an hour. Then divide into equal portions. Roll out thin discs and toast it in a flat pan. It should be half done. You will bake it finally when the filling is ready. Set aside and prepare the filling.
- Heat little bit of oil in a frying pan. Once it is smoky hot, add the shitake mushroom and sauté in high flame. Once it releases aroma, add in the tofu and stir fry until the tofu cubes turn slightly brownish.
- Once these are done, add in the other veggies except lettuce and stir fry for a few minutes. When they look half cooked, add in the salt, pepper, sugar, mustard powder, and ketchup. Stir and turn down the flame.
- Now heat the flat pan and toast the wrap (without oil). Once they turn opaque white, remove from flame and assemble the wrap.
- To assemble, lay the wrap and add some vegan mayo and fresh lettuce. Put in the filling on one side. Wrap gently. Eat fresh and hot.
Enjoyed the flavor-packed vegan wrap? This can also be taken in a packed lunch box and it will taste equally good. Hope you like the recipe. Try and let us know your valuable feedback.