Vegan Wellington With Butternut Squash and Mushroom
Literally, the best vegan wellington I’ve ever made. This is perfect for your holiday feast.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
4 tablespoons vegan butter
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 carrots cubed
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/8 cup fresh sage leaves, cut into small strips
2 tsp smoked paprika
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 pound portobello mushrooms, trimmed and roughly chopped (Baby Bellas work fine)
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 package vegan puff pastry with 2 sheets
Have a vegan wellington you love? let us know in the comments after you’re done!Julie
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Delicious Vegan Apple Cider Donuts Recipe
- 6 Ways To Naturally Whiten Your Teeth
- 10 Everyday Items That Contain Animal Products
- 5 Dunkin’ Donuts Vegan Friendly Options
Vegan Wellington Instructions
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
2. In a very large skillet over high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the squash and carrots in a single layer and cook for 4 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until squash is golden, 7 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the syrup, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook one minute. Scrape mixture into a bowl.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Stir in garlic and shallot; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms, stir well, cooking for 5 minutes until the liquid is released. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mustard. Cook until mushrooms are soft and their juices evaporate about 10 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the mixture is dry about 5 minutes. Stir in the pepper, sage and parsley. Taste and add more salt if needed.
4. On a lightly floured surface, unwrap the two puff pastry sheets and place side by side. Down the middle of the pastry, spoon the filling, making sure not to take too much of the liquid. Spoon the cheese crumbles over the mushrooms. Pile up the filling into a large log shape, pressing it down with the spoon.
5. Brush the exposed borders of dough on each rectangle with the melted vegan butter. Fold the long sides up to meet in the middle and pinch together to seal; pinch the ends, too. Transfer the pastries to the baking sheet and turn them over so that the seam is face down. Brush the tops with more melted vegan butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut 3 small slashes in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. Bake until they are puffed golden, and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and serve the best tasting vegan wellington you’ll ever make!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: