Simple Yet Delicious Pulled BBQ Jackfruit with Coleslaw
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit with a Simple DIY Coleslaw
This simple pulled BBQ jackfruit sandwich and coleslaw is perfect for summer days or when you’re in the midwest cold winter dreaming of grilling season. You can play around with the flavor and add some kick with a bit of cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Feel free to top your sandwich off with anything else, we like to keep it simple and just add a big spoonful of this delicious slaw. Enjoy!
- 2 cans of jackfruit in brine or water
- 2 cups of your favorite vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Half an onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp of cumin (optional)
- Half a head of green or red cabbage (shredded)
- 3 carrots (shredded)
- ⅓ cup of vegan mayo
- 2 ½ tsp of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of vegan sugar
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pineapple rings
- Vegan chipotle sauce/mayonnaise
- Sliced raw/sauteed onions
- Vegan cheese
Pulled Jackfruit Prep:
- Drain brine or water out of canned jackfruit. Rinse using a colander.
- Slice jackfruit pieces thinly and place in a bowl.
- Add BBQ sauce, mix thoroughly and let sit.
- Meanwhile, sautée onions and garlic for approximately 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Mix in seasoned BBQ jackfruit with onions and garlic.
- Continue to cook mixture for 5-8 minutes on medium heat while stirring occasionally.
- After 5-8 minutes, check for tenderness and if tender, use a potato masher to achieve a pulled texture. Set aside.
- Mix shredded cabbage and carrots together in a bowl.
- Add in mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and stir in.
Serve on buns with a side of your choice and watch your kiddos devour every last bite.
This recipe is so easy and takes minimal prep but the results are amazing! Perfect for summer evenings at a BBQ with friends and family.
Tags: bbq, coleslaw, easy meals, jackfruit, kid friendly food, party food, pulled jackfruit, sanwiches, vegan bbq sandwiches, vegan food