Cooking with Vegan Kids: Easy & Fun Recipes
Kids of all ages love to spend time getting messy in the kitchen, and the fact it teaches them a great life skill is an added bonus. Get your aprons on and sleeves rolled up ready for these kid-friendly vegan recipes – tasty, easy, and fun to make!
DIY pizza night is one of the only times everyone can have something completely different without the need to cook two, or three, or four (or more!) separate meals. Choose your base, (can be homemade or store-bought) and lay out all your toppings for everyone to add to their pizza before cooking. Here are some ideas, but you can choose your family’s favorites:
- Pizza sauce, vegan pesto, or hummus to spread on the base.
- Sliced veggies – bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant.
- Artichoke hearts.
- Flavored tofu or tempeh.
- Shredded vegan cheese.
- Dried herbs – oregano, basil, rosemary.
- Spinach or arugula (to be added once the pizza is cooked).
Mexican rice bake (serves 4)
Depending on the age of your kids, you can cook the ingredients first and let them just assemble the bake.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp – 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 8oz enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- Serving options: Vegan sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, sliced green onions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat the oil in an skillet and add the onion, cumin, paprika, coriander, and chili powder to taste (if using).
- Cook for a few minutes to soften the onion, then add the garlic and bell pepper.
- Cook for another few minutes, then add the black beans, enchilada sauce, and cooked rice.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, mix well, and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with shredded vegan cheese (if using) and bake for 30 minutes before serving.
Baked tofu nuggets (serves 4)
Kids will love getting involved in the nugget ‘production line’, and these nuggets will seem like a real treat despite being oven baked and healthy!
- 2 14-ounce blocks of firm tofu, pressed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut the pressed tofu into nugget sized pieces.
- Mix the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, mixed herbs, salt, pepper, cumin, and nutritional yeast in a bowl.
- Put the non-dairy milk in a second bowl, and the breadcrumbs in a third.
- Coat each nugget first in the seasoned flour, then the milk, then the breadcrumbs (try to use one hand to do this, because it can get quite messy).
- Put the finished nuggets on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Serve with your family’s favorite sides and sauces!