Easy Tex Mex Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (Vegan) Recipe
A simple Tex-Mex quinoa breakfast bowl (vegan) recipe to try this weekend .
After being on somewhat of a cauliflower rice for the past month-ish, I’ve slowly began to incorporate more of my favorite grains into my meals. Whether I’m eating chili or a salad, quinoa always comes in handy. Perfect for a meal-prep dinner and just as good for one of those “breakfast for dinner” types of days, this Tex-Mex inspired quinoa breakfast bowl (vegan) will fill your family’s stomachs with cilantro lime quinoa and a cayenne pepper sweet potato main dish. Versatile enough to add in your favorite vegetables, this meal is sure to be a family-favorite.
You might also like:
- EASY VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPE: SOUTHWEST CHICKPEA SCRAMBLE
- DELICIOUS VEGAN MEALS: TOFU AND CASHEW LETTUCE CUPS
- ANXIETY IN TEENS- HOW TO HELP THEM COPE
- SURVIVING AS A NIGHT-OWL PARENT WITH AN EARLY-BIRD CHILD
- HEARTY GUINNESS STEW RECIPE TO TRY THIS ST. PATRICK’S DAY
Tex Mex Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (Vegan) Recipe
For the cilantro lime quinoa
- 1 ½ cups of quinoa
- 2 ¾ cups water
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- garlic powder
- Rinse the quinoa well under water in a double mesh strainer. This is important to erase the bitter taste from it.
- In a large pan on medium heat. use olive oil to lightly toast the quinoa. Once it has a little bit of color, transfer the quinoa to a pot of water (or a rice cooker) and cook normally. (About 15 minutes)
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and add in lime, salt, garlic, and cilantro and set aside until ready to eat.
For the “Filling”
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch discs
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 servings of Just Egg
- salsa of your choice
- shredded egg cheese
- refried black beans
- vegan sour cream
- In a large bowl with olive oil and sweet potato, add in the seasonings- salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
- Mix well with hands to ensure that all of the sweet potatoes are fully and evenly coated.
- Lay flat on aluminum foil on a sheet pan along with onions, pepper and bell pepper and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked fully through.
- Serve over quinoa and top with a chunky salsa, shredded vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, scrambled Just Egg, and refried black beans. Optionally heat up corn tortillas to use to scoop up the contents of the breakfast bowl.
What vegetables would you put into a Tex-Mex quinoa bowl (vegan)? Let me know in the comments below.