Easy Vegan Breakfast Recipe: Southwest Chickpea Scramble
Looking for a quick easy vegan breakfast recipe? Here’s an easy southwest chickpea scramble recipe that even your kids would love.
Replacing egg in your vegan diet can be tricky for some people because it is such a staple in cooking, baking, and especially breakfast. a lot of people turn to tofu to get the consistency of an egg. Tofu is a great substitute and is a good source of protein to start your day. But if you are looking for a little different taste and texture with the same protein, chickpeas can be a great alternative. Chickpeas have a heartier texture, you know the stick to your ribs kind, that can make your breakfast last a little bit longer throughout the day. I love using this southwest chickpea scramble in a corn tortilla for a breakfast taco topped with avocado and hot sauce. It’s an easy breakfast for fast mornings and if you make a little too much it is a great leftover as well to throw on a salad with some vegan ranch and salsa.
You might also like:
- 3 VEGAN BEER COCKTAILS TO HOLD YOU OVER UNTIL SPRING
- VEGAN RIGHTS ACTIVIST JAMES ASPEY RUNNING FOR PARLIAMENT IN AUSTRALIA
- USEFUL TIPS TO GET LONG HEALTHY HAIR AS A VEGAN
- 5 BEST EASY FUN IDEAS FOR YOUR TEEN’S GET TOGETHER
Southwest Chickpea Scramble
- 2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 1 tbsp. green onion, diced
- Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat and sauté red and green peppers just until a little tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, in a mixing bowl add chickpeas and light smash with a fork leaving some pieces whole.
- Pour in salsa, nutritional yeast, cumin, garlic powder, and lime juice. Fold ingredients into chickpeas until well combined.
- Add chickpea mixture to the pan and mix well with peppers. Continue to cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until heated through and chickpeas are browned. Remove from heat and fold in green onions.
- Serve in a taco shell for a breakfast taco or with a side of roasted potatoes.
Your Southwest Chickpea Scramble is ready! Don’t forget to hit the share button.
Tags: vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast recipe