Nutritious and Healthy Sweet Potato and Kale Quinoa Salad
Do you love colorful salads that are not only good to look at but equally delicious too? This sweet potato and kale quinoa salad recipe is power packed with goodness of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
Cheers to a healthy start to the year!
You might also like:
- Are Snoop Dogg and the Beckhams Dropping Meat Like it’s Hot?
- Easy To Cook Vegan Snacks- Tofu Fritters
- Vegan Snacks- Crispy, Pan Fried Eggplants (Baingan Bhaja)
- Crispy Corn Cutlets: Easy Vegan Appetizer
Sweet Potato and Kale Quinoa Salad Recipe
If you’re like me, you’re still recovering from your holiday feasts almost a month later. One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to eat more greens, which to me usually comes in the form of salads. But not just any boring salad. I exclusively eat colorful protein and fiber packed salads which never fail to amaze my coworkers. This salad stars ingredients such as sweet potato (better for fiber compared to protein), garbanzo beans (the most protein-packed bean) dried cranberries (another great source of fiber as well as antioxidants) and quinoa (contains all essential amino acids). Kale is still in season (as it thrives in fall and winter) so this is the perfect way to profit from the low kale prices at the markets. Here is my recipe for a protein-packed sweet potato and kale quinoa salad.
- 1 Large sweet potato
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa or 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 cups garbanzo beans
- ⅓ head of kale
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Sunflower Oil
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sunflower seeds (optional)
- Violife Just Like Provolone With Hot Pepper vegan cheese (optional)
- After washing thoroughly all produce, roughly dice the sweet potato and in a bowl, use a small amount of sunflower oil to lightly coat the chopped sweet potato. Season with a pinch of paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bake the sweet potato on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet at 375 Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, prepare the quinoa to your liking. (My favorite way is double washing it, browning it in a pan, then cooking as normal with half a tablespoon of vegan butter added in with the water)
- Once the sweet potato and quinoa has finished cooking, let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add in roughly chopped kale, the rinsed garbanzo beans, the cranberries and both the sweet potato and quinoa.
- Toss the salad until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Top the salad with tahini and enjoy
- Optional: top with sunflower seeds and enjoy with a generous helping of any Violife vegan cheese
What colorful ingredients do you add to your salads? Did you like this sweet potato and kale quinoa salad recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
SIGN UP TO THE EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH REGISTERED DIETITIANS JUST ASK THE DIETITIAN