Pros and Cons of Homeschooling Your Child
There are both pros and cons of homeschooling that should be regarded honestly without prejudice.
Making up your mind to homeschool your children is a big decision for the whole family. It should be evaluated very cautiously beforehand.
Pros of Homeschooling
- The biggest advantage of homeschooling your children is that you know precisely what they are learning. You have entire control over when and how they learn it.
- Another advantage is being able to let each child learn at their own tempo without either having to match up with an entire classroom of faster learners or be bored because they are more advanced than everyone else in the class.
- You are also able to decide direction not only on academic matters but also to transfer the values and beliefs of your family to your children without intrusion.
- Another great advantage of homeschooling your children is being able to defend them from bad influences that they may become vulnerable to in the public school or private school system.
- Homeschooling also permits you to become more familiar with your children’s real talents and abilities. This helps you assist in guiding their education toward a career that they would enjoy.
Cons of Homeschooling
- A disadvantage in homeschooling is expressed by some parents as the sentiment that you don’t have any time for yourself or just a break from the children.
- The cost factor is also rather a disadvantage. You are prone to pay out more money on homeschooling your children than you would on sending them to public school.
- It’s also a provocation, but feasible, to help your children socialize and play with others of their own age.
- You may experience sudden disapproval and aversion from family and friends who do not understand your decision to homeschool your children.
- You’ll need to be unusually systematic as both a parent and teacher in order to get housekeeping and homeschooling successfully completed in the same day.
As you can see, there is a great deal of both pros and cons of homeschooling your children. And there is no right or wrong answer for every parent when making this kind of decision. It needs to be an educated choice that you (and your partner) make for your child.
Have you considered the pros and cons of homeschooling your child? Let us know in the comments below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: