Spanakopita: Vegan Puff Pastry to Enjoy with Your Family on a Weekday
Looking for a vegan puff pastry recipe that is easy to cook and is super delicious? This spinach pie is nutritious too! Check the recipe below.
Spinach pie, or spanakopita to most people, is a savory dish that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Traditionally, most people use phyllo dough for a flaky outer shell to hold in the creamy spinach mixture, but substituting with vegan puff pastry gives it a light and fluffy texture that melts in your mouth. These bite-sized “purses” are great for entertaining or to make a for a weekday family meal.
SIGN UP TO THE EXCLUSIVE GROUP WITH REGISTERED DIETITIANS
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Organic, Vegan, and Cruelty Free Perfume Recipe to Try this Valentine’s Day
- PETA’s Video of Men with Vegetable Penises is Weird AF
- Romeo Gets His Juliet: Forever Alone Frog Finally Gets A Date
- Smokey Roasted Eggplant Mash (Baingan Bharta) Recipe
Vegan Puff Pastry Spanakopita
- 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of liquid
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for an hour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup cashew milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a blender add soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, cashew milk, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until all moisture has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Pour cashew cream sauce into spinach mixture and stir until well combined.
- On a lightly floured cutting board roll out thawed puff pastry. Cut puff pastry into 12 even squares. Take one square at a time and stretch it carefully to fit into the muffin cups and up the sides. Continue with each square until all 12 muffin cups are filled.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of spinach mixture and place in the middle of the puff pastry dough. Fold all 4 corners over mixture to meet in the middle. Pinch together to create a “purse”. Continue until all are completed.
- Brush each “purse” with melted butter. Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you like this Vegan Puff Pastry Spanakopita recipe? Let us know in the comments below.
Get Raise Vegan Magazine for $29.40 for Six Months!