Drool-worthy Walnut Taco Zucchini Boats
For all those parents who have fussy eaters at home, making your child eat heaping portion of vegetables can be a daunting task. This is what set me out to create a recipe that gives them a generous dose of Omega 3 fatty acids and other veggie nutrients. Try this Walnut Taco Zucchini Boats recipe.
Tacos are a classic favorite so much that it even has it’s own day of the week: Taco Tuesday. There are a variety of proteins that you can use for the “meat” portion of the taco, but an all time favorite in this house is the humble walnut. Not only do walnuts have a rich flavor; they also provide a great texture for creating a meat type crumble and it is the only nut that is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. I love using zucchinis as a vessel for walnut taco because they take on other flavors in the dish. With that being said, my kids don’t even realize they are eating a heaping portion of vegetables. So for any parent I would say that it is definitely a win-win.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Tesco To Launch ‘Breakthrough’ Vegan Steak In 400 Stores
- B-12 From A Vegan Burger?!?
- My Kid Eats A Burger Every Day
- 2 whole zucchinis
- 1 1/2 cups de-shelled raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
Walnut Taco Zucchini Boats- Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut ends off zucchinis and cut them in half; lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the pulp and leave about 1/4 in. thickness to keep the shape of the “boats”
- Place boats on prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- While zucchini is baking, whisk together lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and salt.
- In a food processor, add walnuts and lime juice mixture and pulse until it is crumbled not ground.
- Remove zucchinis from the oven and add walnut mixture to each boat. Place back in oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the walnut mixture is warm. Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
Did you like these Walnut Taco Zucchini Boats? Let us know in the comments below.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: