Healthy Rice Paper Vegetable Rolls With Eggplant
As Spring continues to approach, I’ve been slowly transitioning out of soups and into wraps and rolls of all sorts featuring fresh vegetables from the market. I’ve also been trying to kick my craving of vegan egg rolls that’s been calling out my name for the past couple of weeks with a healthier alternative. The best compromise? Rice paper vegetable rolls- they are similar to egg rolls except they are not fried and the filling is composed of primarily raw vegetables. With my twist, I include fried eggplant for a wider variety of texture and color. The vegetables inside the rice paper rolls can be adapted to your liking, cucumber and tofu are other possible additions. What are you waiting for? Here is how you can make rice paper rolls with eggplant.
You might also like:
- VEGAN TERIYAKI TOFU LETTUCE WRAPS YOU’LL LOVE
- VEGAN IRISH COLCANNON FOR ST PATRICK’S DAY
- CITRUS BEET AND ARUGULA SALAD RECIPE
- KIDS AND TEACHERS ARE TEAMING UP TO FIGHT CLIMATE CHANGE
Rice Paper Vegetable Rolls With Eggplant
- 8 sheets of rice paper
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles
- 1 small eggplant, sliced longways
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ¾ cup shredded carrot
- ¾ cup bean sprouts
- ¾ cup red cabbage, chopped
- handful of cilantro
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ⅛ cup of rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- optional: sweet and sour sauce for dipping
- In a small bowl, add the rice vinegar to the carrots and set aside.
- Slice the eggplant long ways into long, thin slices.
- In a dish at least ½ inch deep, mix equal parts soy sauce and water, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper to create a marinade. Place the eggplant in and let sit for fifteen minutes.
- Once done marinating, fry in a pan with vegetable oil, onion, and garlic until the eggplant is soft. Add any remaining marinade to the mixture before finishing cooking. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl of hot water, carefully and slowly dunk in the rice paper sheets as to soften them. Once softened and workable, lay flat on a parchment paper-lined cutting board and prepare to fill.
- Add rice noodles, bean sprouts, bell pepper, cabbage, cilantro, rice vinegar carrot, and eggplant to one side of the rice paper.
- Tuck in the tops of the paper and begin to roll tightly like a burrito.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 until you have made as many rolls as you’d like.
- Cut in half and optionally serve with sweet and sour or your favorite vegan dipping sauce.
What is your favorite vegetable to put in rice paper vegetable rolls? Let me know in the comments below.