Easy And Quick Vegan Portuguese Soup Recipe
If you love soups, here is the recipe for my winter staple vegan Portuguese soup that I absolutely love making on weekday nights. Warm up your soul with this fairly easy and quick to cook plant-based recipe.
Some of my earliest memories revolve around my avó’s traditional Azorean-Portuguese cooking. Growing up, I would always come home to Arroz Doce (rice pudding) or feijões (beans). One of my favorite dishes which she would make was her version of Caldo Verde, a cabbage soup which also featured pasta, potatoes, beans, and meat. As I grew up, I found myself missing this soup as it was a winter staple in my household. I decided to take action and create my own version of the soup so that I can enjoy my favorite winter meal all while staying true to my lifestyle. As this will be my third winter making this soup, I am ready to share my now-perfected recipe that will be sure to warm your stomach.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Choc-Chip Sugar Cookies
- Delicious Vegan Zucchini Cheddar Drop Biscuits Recipe
- Chocolate Mint Energy Cookie Recipe
- Irrisistable Vegan Smores Cookies Bars
Vegan Portuguese Soup Recipe
- 1 ½ liter vegetable broth (homemade or store bought)
- ½ liter water
- ½ head green cabbage or kale
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of Pinto Beans
- 2 cups vegan penne pasta (farfalle or fusilli also work)
- ¼ yellow onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
- fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- To clean any possible pesticides from produce before cooking, use one part white vinegar to four parts water to soak all vegetables for fifteen minutes. Rinse well with cold water.
- Scrub potatoes well and peel all four. Chop potatoes into medium-sized cubes and set aside.
- Chop onion into strips and cook in a large pot with olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add room temperature vegetable broth into the broth with the onions and add in the chopped potatoes. Bring broth to a boil. Then, bring back down to a simmer and cover pot with lid.
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop the green cabbage (or kale) into thick ribbons, and finely chop both garlic cloves.
- Once potatoes are half-way cooked, add in strained and rinsed kidney and Pinto beans, cabbage, garlic, herbs, and water.
- Simmer with lid on for eight minutes.
- Add pasta and continue to simmer with the lid on until pasta is fully cooked.
- Once pasta is fully cooked, let set on low heat for twenty minutes before serving.
Your vegan Portuguese soup is ready. Serve with a side of pão and Porto wine.
What is your go-to soup recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
Get Raise Vegan Magazine for $29.40 for Six Months!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: