Vegan Chickpea curry- bursting flavors and bountiful aroma
Vegan Chickpea curry with its generous dose of spices warms up the coldest of the hearts! Tempting aroma and strong delicious flavor sets this dish apart from other Indian main courses. Serve with a bowl of steaming rice and you are all set for a flavorful evening.
Chickpea is rich in protein, dietary fiber and has zero cholesterol. 100 grams of chickpea contain 19 grams of protein and 17 grams of dietary fiber. Use it as a salad or prepare a curry from it, chickpea can be a healthy addition to your daily diet. Here’s one of the most popular vegan chickpea curry recipe popular all over India.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- How Meat Is Causing Global Warming
- Animal Free Eggs To Become A Reality
- Europeans Lead The Way To Ban Animal Testing
- If America went vegan, 327 million people would have enough to eat – twice
Ingredients to cook Vegan Chickpea Curry
For Dry Spice Mix:
|Bay Leaf: 1 inch piece|
|Black Cardamom: 2|
|Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon|
|Coriander Seeds: 1 tablespoon|
|Black Peppercorns: 6|
|Dry Red Chillies: 2|
|Ceylon Cinnamon: 1 inch piece|
For main dish:
|Raw Chick Peas: 1/2 cup|
|Chopped Tomatoes: 1 cup|
|Finely chopped or grind Onion: 1 large or 2 small ones|
|Ginger and Garlic Paste prepared by crushing them together: 1/2 tablespoon|
|Salt as per taste|
|Red Chilli Powder: 1/2 tablespoon (avoid if you dislike hot foods)|
|Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon|
|Cooking Oil: 4 tablespoon|
|Cilantro leaves (finely chopped): 1 tablespoon|
|Chopped onion for garnishing|
- You need to soak white chickpeas overnight or at least 3-4 hours prior cooking. Use the same water to boil chickpeas. Do not forget to add a little salt and tea bag while boiling. This gives it a distinct color. Chickpeas should be boiled long enough till they are mushy when pressed with a spoon.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned under dry spice mix and grind them. Store separately.
- Heat oil in a wok and crackle cumin seeds. Add onion and let it cook till it is translucent with golden color. Next add ginger garlic paste and cook for half a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a while till oil separates. Add the dry spice mix prepared earlier, red chilli powder (optional), turmeric powder, and salt as per taste. Tip: add a little less salt than usual as we had used salt while boiling the chickpeas.
- Let the mixture cook for a while and saute in between. When oil starts leaving the sides, add boiled chickpeas (with the water). Mash a few chickpeas if you like thicker consistency of gravy.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and then turn off the flame. Delicious chickpea curry is ready. Serve hot with rice.
Did you love our vegan chickpea curry recipe? Do let us know in the comments below.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 10 Best Vegan-Friendly Cities Around The World
- BOM BOM Launch New Alcoholic Beverage, Vegan Hemp Milk Cream Liqueur!
- Do You Need Meat When Pregnant?
- Five Vegan Dinner Ideas To Make This Week