Mini Vegan Cheeseburgers, Your Kid’s New Favorite Lunch
Most kids go crazy for cheese, vegan cheese included of course. Are you out of ideas for a kid-friendly lunch that’s even remotely healthy and fresh? What about homemade mini vegan cheeseburgers? With a few protein-packed ingredients, you can make “burgers” at home that will beat out anything store-bought, both the taste wise and health wise. These mini cheeseburgers are great for a Sunday afternoon lunch on the patio or for low-maintenance school lunch (if you make the night before). Here is how you can make protein-packed mini cheeseburgers as a kid-friendly lunchtime meal.
You might also like:
- AN INSIDE PEEK INTO THE CRUELTY-FREE MAKEUP BRAND ELLIS FAAS
- VETERAN VEGAN RUNNER GRABS NATIONAL GOLD AT THE NATIONAL SENIOR GAMES
- KID-FRIENDLY AND SOULFUL CREAMY MUSHROOM VEGAN SOUP
- CHATTING WITH THE MULTI-FUNCTION VEGAN DIAPER BACKPACK CREATOR BRITTANY
- SUPER NUTRITIOUS ROASTED PUMPKIN VEGAN SALAD WITH SPINACH AND WALNUT
- CAN THOSE UNUSUAL CRAVINGS BE DUE TO PICA DURING PREGNANCY?
- PLANT EATING CROCODILE? YES, THEY EXISTED IN THE MESOZOIC ERA
Protein-Packed Mini Vegan Cheeseburgers
For the patty
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour (all-purpose flour also works)
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup broccoli rice (DIY your own by using a food processor)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- extra flour for forming patties
- oil of your choice for frying
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- In a big mixing bowl, roughly mash chickpeas using a fork or a potato masher. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- To the chickpeas, combine all ingredients together. Have your kid help you mix everything together to make it a family activity.
- Dust your hands with flour and begin to create mini patties by rolling a ball and flattening it out to be between ½- ¾ inch tall.
- In a pan with an oil of your choice on medium heat, cook 4 mini patties at a time, covered. Flip after a few minutes to ensure both sides have a nice browning to them.
- Resist the temptation to eat them as is.
For the “Cheeseburger”
(If meal prepping the day before, do this the morning of)
- homemade patties
- vegan mini buns or bread rolls of your choice
- sliced vegan cheese (Chao, Violife,…)
- sliced tomato
- sliced bell pepper
- vegan mayo, ketchup, and any other condiments your kid loves
- In a pan on low heat, place a slice of vegan cheese on top of each of the homemade patties. Cover with a lid and heat until the cheese has melted into gooey deliciousness.
- With mini buns of your choice (you can also use small bread rolls cut in half), begin by dressing the inside of both the top and bottom bun with vegan mayonnaise, butter, ketchup, or any other condiment your kid loves.
- Place the patty with the melted cheese on first followed by any vegetables that your kid loves! I recommend with lettuce, tomato, and bell pepper.
- Top with an extra squirt of ketchup, close the top bun and enjoy! If packing for school lunch, pack with a small fruit salad, nuts, and chocolate almond milk.
Have you ever made your own vegan cheeseburgers at home? What is your favorite protein to sneak in? Let me know in the comments below.