How To Ensure Your Vegan Kid’s Eating Well
How do you ensure your vegan kid’s eating well and getting all the essential nutrients?
The truth is, vegan or omni, all parents go through concern about what their child is eating and how much. We want our children to be as healthy as possible, but sometimes they go through phases where they will be very particular! Fear not, this is a completely normal phase and there are extra steps you can take to ensure that your vegan kid’s eating well and receiving adequate nutrients.
- Do you find your child will go for days living off of purely pasta? I know I do! Swap out the traditional white or wheat noodles for lentil, chickpea or black bean noodles. This drastically increases the amount of iron, protein, and fiber, and I think tastes way better. Check out a recipe HERE.
- Make your own popsicles by blending up a variety of nutrient-dense foods. For sweet; try mixing frozen wild blueberries with banana, avocado, and your favorite nut milk. For savory; blend up cooked sweet potato with spinach, quinoa, and your favorite nut milk. Check out our favorite popsicles HERE.
- Kids tend to enjoy dips, I know my daughter will eat homemade vegan queso with a spoon! Try making hummus, guacamole or vegan cheese sauce and giving your child a variety of crackers and veggies to dip- even if they only lick the dip off of the cracker or veggie- at least you’ll know the dip itself is nutritious!
- If your child will eat sandwiches, search for nut butters that contain a variety of various nuts and seeds, as these are much more nutrient dense than plain almond or peanut butter. You can use crushed fresh fruit, instead of the sugar-filled store-bought jam for added health benefits!
- Smoothies are a great way to help your child receive a bucket load of vitamins in a single serving! Try mixing up a variety of frozen berries with a banana, a handful of spinach, a spoonful of nut & seed butter (or half an avocado) and your favorite nut milk for a well rounded healthy snack. You can also mix it up by making a smoothie bowl for added enjoyment.
- Most kids love muffins or cookies! There are plenty of amazing vegan recipes out there that are healthy and full of super nutritious ingredients, so when they ask for a treat, you can happily oblige!
If you are still concerned with the number of vitamins and minerals they are receiving, you can always get a vegan multivitamin for your child. Chances are that if your child is looking good and acting energetic (as a child should be), you are feeding them wonderfully and your vegan kid’s eating well. Kids will go through phases where it seems as though they don’t eat more than 5 bites of food per day, and next thing you know you can seem to keep the fridge stocked enough!
READ MORE: VEGAN VITAMINS FOR KIDS
Nobody knows your child better than you do if you feel as though something might be off, talk to your healthcare professional about getting a simple blood panel done. There are many wonderful vegan supplements out there that can help put your mind at ease and pick up any slack during your child’s picky phases. It’s not always ways to ensure your vegan kid’s eating well, but hopefully, some of these tips will help put your mind at ease.
What have you found to be the best way to sneak healthy food to your kids?
Let us know in the comment section below!
Tags: healthy food for kids, how to be sure your child is getting nutrients, nutrient dense meals, vegan kids eating well, vegan nutrition