DIY Vegan Bug Repellent Perfect for Camping
In search of a vegan bug repellent? You can create one! Here’s how…
Are you and the kids going camping anytime soon? You’ve got your family-sized tent packed, loads of vegan hot dogs, and all of the other essentials that you need to have packed while going on a camping trip. What usually (and unfortunately) gets forgotten? Bug repellent.
As vegans, we know that we must “do no wrong”, and that involves not killing any bugs for many. Avoid a situation where you have to worry about getting attack by blood-hungry mosquitos and take preventative measures by using bug spray.
Although there are bug repellent brands out there that are suitable for vegans to use such as Beat It! All Natural Insect Repellent, Pure Spa Vegan Bug Repellent, and EcoSmart Organic Repellent, maybe you’re on a bit of a time crunch and don’t have time to order a natural vegan-friendly bug repellent online before your trip. Have no fear! Making a bug repellent at home is actually super easy and cheap to make. Don’t let the mosquitos eat you! Here is how you can make your own veganized bug repellent at home before your camping trip.
You might also like:
- CAN DOGS THRIVE ON A PLANT-BASED DIET? CANINE NUTRITION EXPERT TELLS ALL
- LUXURY VEGAN RESORT DOGCATIONS ARE SET TO BE THE NEXT BIG TREND OF 2019
- BROTH BOMBS ARE A NEW VOGUE IN COOKING; JUST DROP AND BOOM OF FLAVORS
- WORLD’S FIRST VEGAN PROBIOTIC LASSI LAUNCHED BY VANCOUVER COUPLE
- HUMAN-IMITATING GORILLAS POSE FOR SELFIES WITH ANTI-POACHING UNIT
DIY Vegan Bug Repellent
- Spray bottle to put the repellent in (A small travel sized spray bottle works well for on-the-go packing! You can find one cheap at the dollar store or you can repurpose a plastic spray bottle you already have at home)
- 4 oz Witch Hazel (I use Thayer’s, Lavender Witch Hazel)
- 4 oz distilled water
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 30-50 drops total of essential oils* (start with 30 drops and you may increase if needed)
*Use essential oils known for repelling insects, of course. There are many that have this property but some of my favorites are tea tree, lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, rosemary, mint, and sage. I will use a combination of 3 at a time!
- In a small measuring bowl, measure out 4oz of distilled water followed by 4oz of Witch Hazel.
- Add in 30-50 drops of 3 essential oils of your choice (see above) My favorite combination is lavender, lemongrass, and rosemary. Stir everything together.
- Transfer liquid into one 8oz or a couple of 4oz spray bottles and shake very well before using to prevent ingredient separation. Always shake well before using!
Will you be making your own vegan bug spray at home? What is your favorite brand of store-bought vegan bug repellent? Let me know in the comments below.