Scrumptious Indian Dessert That Melts In Your Mouth- Vegan Gulab Jamun
If somebody asked me what heaven should be made of, I would say dark chocolates and vegan Gulab Jamun.
There’s a unique taste, texture
The texture melts as soon as it hits your mouth and leaves behind a flavorful aftertaste that keeps you wanting for more. Though traditionally, it is made from milk and milk products, here’s a vegan twist that doesn’t sacrifice the taste.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serving: 10 pieces
For sugar syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Crushed green cardamoms around 6-7 pieces
- Dried rose petals 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 4-5 drops r
For Vegan Gulab Jamun:
- 2 cups fine ground bread crumbs (white portion only)
- Finely ground cashew nuts blended into a smooth creamy paste with water (¼ cups cashew nut with ½ cup water)
- Neutral tasting oil
- Pinch of saffron, pistachios and almond for garnishing
- First, prepare the sugar syrup by adding water and sugar to the saucepan. Bring them to boil and then lower the heat. Simmer for few minutes.
- Add cardamom paste, rose water and lemon juice to the mix. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Let the sugar syrup cool down and add dried rose petals to it.
- Next, take a bowl and add breadcrumbs to it. Add a little cashew cream and mix in thoroughly. Keep adding till you get pliable dough with consistency neither too dry nor too stiff.
- Now apply a little oil to your palms or wear plastic gloves. This is necessary so that the mix doesn’t stick to your hand and you are able to get a smooth finish.
- Take the dough and make 10 small balls out of it. Make sure not to leave any cracks on the surface.
- Heat oil in a wok, for deep frying the balls, up to a temperature of around 300 degrees. Avoid getting the oil too hot or your vegan gulab jamun would cook fast on the outside but remain raw from inside.
- Using a slotted ladle, add few balls to the hot oil. Note that the oil shouldn’t bubble much or else it is too hot to cook. Do not let the balls stick to the base and place only a few balls together in the wok. Cluttering prevents uniform cooking.
- Deep fry till the jamuns turn a reddish-brown color. Line a plate with paper towel and place the cooked jamuns on it to wipe off the excess oil.
- With the help of a very thin needle, poke some holes in jamuns. This is to aid in better absorption of sugar syrup by your vegan gulab jamun.
- Place them in the sugar syrup and leave untouched for few minutes(15-20).
- You can now take the Gulab jamun out from syrup base. Garnish with saffron, almond and pistachio scrapes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: